Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Good advice I never listened to

When I was young, my father had this to say with regards to fighting, "Don't start fights, but if you have to fight, hit first and hit hard".   Of course, I didn't follow it.  Nearly every fight I got into growing up, I waited for them to punch at me, then I would block and counter.  Only when I was confronted by someone with a baseball bat did I finally "get it".  I never waited for him to raise the bat.  I went home with a new bat that day.  I think my mother still has it in her basement. 

Ol' Dad has some of the best advice I can share with regards to defense.  I'm not talking about scuffles on the playground or crazy Uncle Eddie getting rowdy at the family reunion.  I'm talking about real predators looking to beat, mug, rape, maim, or kill you.  Its not exactly PC, but then again trying to be PC while defending yourself can make the difference between walking away and being carried away. 

You don't have to wait until someone throws a punch at you, pulls a knife or gun, or grabs your throat.  If you wait that long, you are already losing. 

Hit first, hit hard.  When someone starts to raise their fist, go ahead and hit 'em.  Reaching for that knife clip you noticed sticking out of their pocket?  Hit 'em.  Reaching for your throat?  Yup, you guessed it. 

For those of you who cry that it isn't fair?  Life's tough.  Get over it.

You have a right to protect yourself from the moment that you feel an imminent threat, i.e., raised fist, a reach for the knife.  So its o.k. to hit first. 

Still crying about "fighting fair"?  Then you won't like this either.  I strongly advocate sticking fingers in the eyes, punching throats, grabbing balls, and every other dirty trick in the book. 

Remember, the goal in a true self-defense situation is not to play fair, its to be able to get back home to your family; so go ahead, shove a finger in their eye and then go home and sleep well.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment